Sunday, August 26, 2012

Disappearing Four Patch Block

My latest project has come about thanks to the birth of our friends baby girl and I don't have much time. I decided to make a cot quilt. I've never attempted anything this size before and trying to calculate how many squares has been a bit of a chore but I think I've got it worked out now. If it's wrong I'll just add or take away a few. LOLLL
I'm doing 30 8" blocks. I'm still undecided as to whether to add a border or not. I guess I'll wait and see when they're all put together.
Last night I cut out all 120 5" x 5" squares and sewed them together ready for cutting into disappearing four patch blocks.
This was my first test block


I woke up this morning and rushed upstairs to my sewing room to start some more before beginning the household chores and managed to make another two. Three down, twenty seven to go. I'm hoping that by the end of the evening I'll have them all completed. Fingers crossed. I'm aiming to finish within the next three days and if time allows I'll make a pillowcase to match.

If you'd like to make one of these blocks I used this tutorial 


Instead of making my cuts 1" from the center sewing seams I used 1.5"

~ Maria ~

7 comments:

  1. That is going to be very pretty, hope to see a photo when you are done.

    Robin in Washington State
    assweetaspeaches hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maria that is looking so good. I can't wait to see the quilt done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be so pretty,will have to give it a try. I assume you made it the same as DNP and cut down the center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice-looking block. I'll have to try it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, this is fantastic, I like the colors. I admire you for your willingness to work on this quilt many hours and being able to finish on time, this quilt is going to be beautiful, I'm sure. I never did a disappearing four patch block, that's why I look at your work with interest and admiration I hope to see the photos when you finish it, thanks for the link and for sharing your work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Pretty indeed! YOU inspire me to have a go at this BUT....first I need to find the TIME.....can anyone send me some please?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so admire quilters - a craft I have yet to master.

    Popped in from YWW.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~