Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Rosanna Tote Bag

This is the latest design by Maria from Delinda Boutique. It's called the Rosanna Tote Bag.

Rosanna is a very large tote measuring 17.5 inches (44 cm) across the widest part, 16 inches (41cm) across the narrowest part, 3 inches (7.5 cm) deep and 17.5 inches (44 cm) high and if you think that's too big then you have the option to reduce the pattern when printing to get two other sizes.

Small size bag, print it at 80% - bag size will be 13.5” (34 cm) high and 13.5”(34 cm) wide or
Medium size bag, print it at 90% and the bag size will be 15.5” (39 cm) high and 15.5”(39 cm) wide.

I made the largest one and it is big but I love it and will be perfect for trips away or for when I go fabric shopping and fabric mysteriously happens to come home with me. Lots of room to hide it all LOLLL

Another feature I liked about the bag was the patchwork panel on the front which was made according to the measurements in the pattern but you could do any kind of patchwork design you like or even use it to show off a pretty fabric.



This bird fabric is a bit special to me becasue it was sent to me by my dear friend Samantha Jane Hussey who I test for. A pouch would be nice in this fabric to go with the bag.


The side gusset is a triangular shape to give more room to the bag.
Oh and yes I had to quilt it all in my wavy quilting stitch.



I have used an ordinary zipper instead of a hidden zipper like in the pattern. My fabrics were very thick so I didn't think it would work well but the other testers did theirs and they look great.


The green floral fabric I bought from Spain about 4 years ago with the intention of making a blouse but as I'm not keen on making clothes any more I used it for the back of this bag.


Rosanna is excellent for a confident beginner and if zippers still scare you then you can just leave them out. On the back you could even add a large slip pocket instead of a zipper one.



I couldn't resist this colour for the lining which I also used in the patchwork panel on the front.
Inside there are three deep slip pockets. The pattern also has two options for the main closure, a zip or a magnetic button. I chose the button, it's such a large bag I can't imagine loosing anything.






The inside is very spacious so you could add more slip pockets to the other side or even a zipper pocket. It's the kind of bag you can really experiment with and make it unique.
If you'd like to give it a go then you can buy the pattern from Delinda Boutique on ETSY or CRAFTSY and while you're there make sure to check out the other bag designs.

The designer Maria Petrova has some gorgeous bag designs. She has already sent another for testing which I can't wait to start. I've bought my fabric which I love but can't say any more. We have a couple of weeks to make it and then I'll be able to show it to you.

Happy Sewing

~ Maria ~

7 comments:

  1. Lovely as always!
    The wavy quilting is becoming your trademark like red is mine..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,
    this is a georgeous bag! Love the Birdy fabrics ;O)
    Have a happy sewing week,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the help and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Love it! Love it! The fabrics and the color combinations are perfect. Very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another nice bag Maria. I was going to free motion quilt a small bag yesterday and for some weird reason the thread would get caught and wouldn't quilt. I tried everything like new needle, re-threading, etc. and still it happened. So I switched to my regular foot and just quilted it wavy like yours and it worked fine. I still don't know what the issue was with my free motion foot, but I better get it checked out so I can quilt again. The wavy quilting made me think of you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! You do such neat work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria you are the QUEEN of bags - you can just take any pattern and do it perfectly - wow! That is a GREAT design - such a fun shape, and I love how you patchworked and embellished the front panel (I do think you should make a matching zipper pouch :D) :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~